NBP116: Disrupt the Cultural Stigma with Rebone Masemola
Introducing: Rebone Masemola who works as a creative, cultural strategist within the Marketing, Advertising and TV industry. She uses platforms that she has access to, to entrench the message of more inclusive and nuanced representation for historically marginalized groups. She is also an activist writer and narratives Black Women, LGBTQIP+ and the Youth within the African context to represent their lived experiences in a way that reflects their true reality.
TOPICS DISCUSSED IN THIS PODCAST EPISODE:
- (6:50) Where the integration started
- (10:05) Speaking out about the way things are in South Africa
- (12:20) How the industry changed from 1994 in South Africa
- (15:07) The start of being an Activist in SA
- (20:00) Going onto Social Media and ‘speaking my mind’
- 27:00) Representation on Social Media
- (30:12) Self-examination regardless of where you are in life
- (33:00) People with a ‘lived experience’ who become a host for an event
HEAR MORE ABOUT REBONE MASEMOLA
Rebone writes ‘I wanted to become a marine biologist after I read a novel about a kick-ass marine biologist who was a woman, but I can’t swim’. I founded a personalized online content that serves as a space for historically marginalized groups and an offline event that creates a broader discussion with people who cannot be reached online. I am a TEDx Speaker & Thought Leader who trained as an Anthropologist and has experience as a Strategist (Digital & Brand), Insights Generation, Content Creation, Research and Project Management. I have been featured as a ‘Young Leaders to Watch’ by Fast Company ZA 2019, nominated as a Top 100 Disruptor in the SADC region for 2018, voted as Top 8 Wonder Under 30 in 2019 and featured and interviewed by local and international media platforms. Rebone Masemola is the founder of a digital platform called the WokeProject.
FAVOURITE QUOTE TO SHARE WITH THE WORLD
In a world that’s always trying to tell you who to be and that you’re not good enough, radically loving and caring for yourself is an act of revolution.
ONE BOOK YOU SHOULD READ
CONNECT WITH REBONE
CONNECT WITH SASHKA
Want to be a guest on the podcast? Apply to be featured on the No Name Brand Podcast here.
Latest posts by Sashka Hanna-Rappl (see all)
- VOF131:How to Reset your Mindset with Erin Pheil - January 22, 2020
- VOF130: No One Owes You Anything with Janell Jones - January 8, 2020
- VOF129: Create the Life you Desire with Fenny Nadorp - December 18, 2019