NBP115: Child Abuse Advocate with Nathan Spiteri
Introducing Nathan Spiteri – An advocate for child abuse. A very courageous man who had overcome many obstacles. Being abused as a child, and then as a teenager he focused mainly on men but was also attracted to and held relationships with several girls his own age. Nathan now wants to raise awareness and educate the masses on child abuse.
TOPICS DISCUSSED IN THIS PODCAST EPISODE:
- (7:55) The drugs and violence
- (9:21) From drug therapy to shaking off bad memories
- (11:45) The message and the movie Toy Cars
- (15:57) Realizing it’s not your fault
- (23:00) Coming to terms with what happened to you
- (28:00) It’s important to have a support system around you
HEAR MORE ABOUT NATHAN SPITERI
As an eight-year-old, Nathan Spiteri was in his hometown of Queanbeyan, NSW when a middle-aged man followed him into the change rooms of the local swimming pool area. This incident became day one of a three-year relationship between Nathan and the 40-year-old man. This man told Nathan that his family hated him. Nathan visited this man regularly and exchanged ‘I love yous’. His family and friends had no clue. Eventually Nathan moved to New York to pursue his dream of acting. Nathan finally told his family who all reacted different to the news. In 2016 Nathan’s New-York-based psychologist suggested he write his experience of abuse down as a form of therapy. Over the next two years Nathan did what his therapist asked and the result was his first screenplay, Toy Cars. For Nathan, writing the screenplay was not only therapeutic and purgative, but provided a chance to put some closure around his harrowing story.
FAVOURITE QUOTE TO SHARE WITH THE WORLD
Don’t be perfect, just be real.
ONE BOOK YOU SHOULD READ
CONNECT WITH NATHAN
CONNECT WITH SASHKA
Want to be a guest on the podcast? Apply to be featured on the No Name Brand Podcast here.
Latest posts by Sashka Hanna-Rappl (see all)
- VOF131:How to Reset your Mindset with Erin Pheil - January 22, 2020
- VOF130: No One Owes You Anything with Janell Jones - January 8, 2020
- VOF129: Create the Life you Desire with Fenny Nadorp - December 18, 2019